Punhunter Chronicles I: Punface • 30 May 2008

The Editor: … Yes, you’ll want to have a look at that article and see the notes from the regular fries as well.

(0v0): Uh?

The Editor: (innocent shrug) You know.

(0v0): (suspicious sideways glance) Regular fries?

The Editor: Common ‘taters. Commentators

(0v0): (vision of Mr. Potatohead with reporter’s notebook and hat) No! That is not ok! Take it back!

The Editor: (runs from the room with an evil cackle)

………………………………………………………

From: The Editor
To: (0v0)

Sent: Friday, May 30, 2008 10:45 AM
Subject: facehunter being snooty in DF

From: (0v0)
To: The Editor
Sent:
Friday, May 30, 2008 10:49 AM
Subject: Re: facehunter being snooty in DF

this is a very good website.

however, it is not my dissertation.

also, it is not your dissertation.

is facehunter like a hybrid of poemface and punhunter?

punface?

………………………………………………………..

A Syllogism:

The Editor loves puns.

I love the Editor.

Therefore,

I still despise puns.

• Posted 30 May 2008 at 10:10 pm | #

Are you in a Googley mood?

Let’s avoid the bruises of the well-spoken eskimoes.

Let me know and I’ll give you a clue.

• Posted 30 May 2008 at 10:20 pm | #

Articulate Alaskans? What?

I googled to no clues. But one of the first pages this phrase returns begins with this: “Well-spoken insanity is still insane….”

Well-spoken insanity is still insane!

“Good puns” are still PUNS!!!!

• Posted 30 May 2008 at 10:32 pm | #

Oh yeah, and while I am at it I want to note that in the field of labor and work studies as well as most of the globalization literature, a bad pun is required for every book and paper title. You actually can’t get tenure without a proven history of punning. Journal editorial boards are stacked with punhunters just like you and the Editor. Nobody gets past the punsters witout assimilating.

I want to note my dissertation has a working title that contains both alliteration and a colon—two major stylistic concessions.

But I will resist the fucking puns. I am inpunetrable!

• Posted 31 May 2008 at 1:41 am | #

Hahaha, inpunetrable, nice! Well this is, as you’ll eventually see, a pun totally typical of my knowledge base. Here are some clues:

1) this pun is related to a film.
    2) this pun is related to conceptual art.
    3) this pun is not, originally, English.

Part of it, in the original, reads (and it’s better if you read this aloud):

eskimaux aux mots exquis.

• Posted 31 May 2008 at 2:46 pm | #

You’re subtle; work out a title that uses a semi-colon instead of the colon. That’d be more your style, no? 🙂

• Posted 31 May 2008 at 3:09 pm | #

I love the semi-colon so much.

How subversive would that be?

Oh… now I have to rethink the whole thing…

• Posted 31 May 2008 at 3:28 pm | #

Patrick, my god, what is this breadcrumb you leave me?

Conceptual art, film, evasions…

Spirals, Columbian heavy metal, Man Ray and Dada?

Mots exquis.

Absurd puns might be ok. (But the would have to be self-consciously, completely absurd.)

• Posted 1 June 2008 at 1:02 pm | #

Oh, it’s definitely absurd puns. Hey, you found the Man Ray link, well done!

Indeed, spirals.

You’re one step away, did you know this?

Man Ray, mots exquis. Dial it up…

• Posted 1 June 2008 at 4:12 pm | #

I’ve never spoken to the Editor, and I LOVE HIM!!!!!!!!!

• Posted 1 June 2008 at 6:37 pm | #

Hello Sonya!

I try not to gush, but the Editor gets even better the more you know. It’s quite amazing.

I am going to get in so much trouble if he sees this!

• Posted 1 June 2008 at 6:40 pm | #

Patrick, Sweet! I figured it out!!!

You give puns a good name, dammit. This is so highbrow!

This book (or, rather, the history it chronicles) looks awfully intriguing. Must… focus… on… the… economy….

My life is increasingly absurd. Duchamp is full of shit, but somehow suddenly makes sense.

Precarite…

• Posted 1 June 2008 at 6:41 pm | #

The punsters may be persistent but their attacks usually can’t withstand a counter-thrust with an incisive double entendre. Once they’re dazzled, hit them again to polish them off. They give you no mercy; show them none in return.

Stick with the semicolons if you can! Semicolons are much classier than colons, which are really only good for punctuating sentences that are poorly constructed in the first place.

• Posted 1 June 2008 at 6:44 pm | #

applause

I thought you’d like a little highbrow from the avant-garde. I use sections of that book, by the way, when I teach avant-garde film.

See also (not to distract, but..):

http://www.ubu.com (film and video; choose Duchamp from the list and you can see the VERY FILM with the erudite Alaskans, hah!)

• Posted 1 June 2008 at 6:44 pm | #

Great point, Carl. I can cut some pretty ruthless wordplay and maybe that will scare off the lowly punsters. Must work on that. And yeah: unless to set off address (see below?), colons are pretty awkward.

Oh, readers: the answer is on p. 373 of the book I linked and you can read it right there in the page views. Rec starting at p. 371.

• Posted 1 June 2008 at 6:48 pm | #

I will watch the Duchamp for relaxing, when (ever?) that happens.

I kept getting stuck on Nanook of the North. Have this whole problematic fascination with exoticist anthropo-documentary (and the freaky first generation anthropologists, naturally), which thankfully hasn’t gotten much attention since I turned away from Comm Studies and in to this economic stuff.

• Posted 1 June 2008 at 7:18 pm | #

I know a grad student in Bloomington who’s writing on, now hold onto your head, “the false” in documentary performance, and Nanook is a big element of the setup for the formal discussion, of things like BORAT and the work of Errol Morris.

• Posted 1 June 2008 at 7:25 pm | #

I wrote my two senior theses for the Journalism degree on (1) use of scenes tagged “historical facsimile” in Birth of a Nation and (2) CNN’s Cold War documentary series. If I remember, I wound up feeling like Cold War was almost as false as the hideously racist BON. And both films kept leading me to comparisons with the BS in Nanook.

But watch what you say about Errol Morris! It’s all true!!!